Talent and market mapping for now and the future
Organisations are constantly developing. The much-heard term “learning organisation” is the exponent of this. Learning organisations in both the public and private domain are confronted with major impactful changes but also with an accumulation of smaller, less visible changes. Multiple less impactful changes can have as much impact as major changes such as reorganisations or a change of ownership.
Both internal and external factors are at the foundation of this development. We carry out quick-scans for our clients to gain quick strategic insight. You want to know where your organisation stands, and we can help you with a fresh outside view.
Other challenges (such as innovation, digitisation, competition, system changes, economic tide) require a different approach in order to remain future-proof.
Holtrop Ravesloot carries out a management audit for you based on its vision of ‘a careful contrast’. As you have come to expect from us: together, creative, sharp and involved. The matching matrix for leadership profiles is a good tool to calibrate your organisation to the challenges of the future. From the matching matrix, we can assess whether your current structure and leadership model still fits the challenges of the future. If desired, we combine a talent mapping with a market mapping.
For us, a management audit starts, just like a search procedure, with getting to know your organisation, its people, environment and challenges in order to gain insight into the challenges of the future.
Part of the management audit:
- personnel management (in-depth interviews): two-fold; talking to the people about their ambition and development and thinking about fit for the future. Both individually and in teams (complementary and sufficiently diverse: optimal discrepancy)
- Coaching and thinking along about development
- possible assessment with external partner
Mapping out the potential and talent within your organisation (management audit/inspection). The talent folder gives you insight into the present talent, where they currently stand in their careers, where their ambition lies and how their potential is assessed. Based on the talent folder, you can focus on HR development.
Terms such as binding and exciting and thereby keeping, apply here. Talent works from passion, with drive and ambition: to be recognized in this passion and ambition is highly desirable. The targeted deployment of management development is a good tool for this.
After taking stock and drawing up the talent folder, we are, as your external partner, a trusted discussion partner for the talent to advise them (as an independent third party) about their development/growth. In an annual cycle, we maintain contact and keep you informed of developments, coupled with appropriate advice.
In addition to the internal inventory, we can also carry out an external benchmark. What does the environment of the organisation look like? What kind of organisations act there and under what conditions? What kind of talent is there? A market folder provides insight into what is happening in the ‘talent area’ of your company’s environment. This gives you the tools to organise and perpetuate your own management development. In addition, a market folder provides insight into the external talent potential and allows you to use this information strategically with a view to your own development and strengthening the leadership potential. We tackle this process together with you and are your extension (partner) in the market when it comes to identifying, approaching and assessing potential talent to fit your organisation.
In practice: principles and approach
The most important principles for a successful management audit/ talent or market mapping are as follows:
- The start of the process should be clearly communicated by management from a transparent vision of the goal and outcome of the management audit, talent or market mapping. Every process starts with getting to know and understand your organisation, its challenges and its people more than well;
- An interview process such as that provided for under normal circumstances is sometimes sensitive for all parties involved. Ensuring the objectivity and quality of the interviews and analyses, and open and clear communication about the motives, the process and the results of this process are therefore essential;
- the quality and potential of supervisors/directors and managers is only relevant against the background of the current position, the strategy and the most important challenges for your organisation now and in the coming years; both as an organisation and for the various strategic choices and projects you are facing;
- Based on this situation, we can then only work with you to define the most important criteria for success per position (or where possible group of positions), both in terms of experience and personality requirements. For us, this is the benchmark against which individuals and their growth potential can be measured;
- In addition to looking at individual competencies, the division of roles, balance and complementarity within all layers of the organisation is important for the ultimate future-proof success of your organisation;
- The primary starting point is to gain insight into the potential of the incumbent individuals and to develop them further into the future (positive basis). We always link insight to an outside-in approach (benchmark) from an executive search practice (the core of talent and market mapping).
In our report, we will pay attention to:
- An analysis of your organisation and its challenges, and description of the culture/people, coupled with a careful matching matrix with an eye for sufficient contrast. This is the starting point for the interviews with the talent within the organisation;
- the experience and personal characteristics of each of the interviewees with respect to the matching matrix (the competence grid) as we have established;
- a ‘gap analysis’ in which the division of roles and the balance within the group will be highlighted and attention will be paid to complementarity in the design of the leadership teams;
- Insight into the composition of the team with the available potential and indicate what one should anticipate for the future (possible search question);
- a talent folder with an eye for developments and management development towards the future (when agreed);
- A market folder that provides insight into/is a benchmark of your organisation’s environment.
- Reporting is our product. Guidance or search questions arising from our relationship and reporting are addressed from our portfolio of services.